Sunday, June 23, 2013

What I have I been reading lately?


I know that I use to post book reviews a year or more ago and I have not done so since.  Mainly, I just run out of time to type up a decent review of a book and trying to get it posted to the blog.  But, I do want to mention the following books that I have been reading.  They are part of a four book series about the Civil War in Louisiana and Texas, mostly with a Southern view point.  The author, Dr. Donald S. Frazier, is from Texas and admits that he is pro-Southern in his outlook, but overall, he has been fairly balance in his views.  He even admits that a lot of the looting in Louisiana was done by Texas troops in the northwest region. 



The first book is Fire In the Cane Fields, The Federal Invasion of Louisiana and Texas, January 1861 – January 1863.  The second book, which I am currently reading is, Thunder Across the Swamp: The Fight for the Lower Mississippi, February-May 1863.  These are the first two of series, and the only ones currently released.  The upcoming other two will be Blood on the Bayou, which will cover June 1863 through February 1864, and Death at the Landing, which will cover the Red River Campaign.  If they are as good as the first two, they will be worth reading.  My only grip is that the Kindle version of Thunder Across the Swamp is poor laid out and gets distracting with pictures & their descriptions breaking a sentence off in the middle and have to remember what it was say after scrolling over the picture and its description.  The only other complaint is, a lot of the first couple of chapters is basically a repeat of the Fire In the Cane Fields.  I understand why, in case anyone never read the first book or had a large gap in time between the books, but I even then, there was too much repeating and he should have more of a reference that one should read Fire before Thunder.  Of course all of this comes on the heels of me having just read Vicksburg Is the Key: The Struggle for the Mississippi, by William Shea.  I am almost Vicksburg-ed out!  Speaking of Vicksburg, in less than two weeks will be the 150th anniversary of our most glorious 4th of July:  the victories at the battles of Vicksburg, Gettysburg, and Helena.

The Missouri State Memorial located at Vicksburg.  It is unique as the only state memorial on the battlefield dedicated to soldiers of both armies. It represents the forty-two Missouri units that fought there: 27 Union, & 15 Confederate. It stands where two opposing Missouri regiments clashed in battle.



I think after this, I am planning to read the two part series by James Erwin, Guerrillas in Civil War Missouri and Guerrilla Hunters in Civil War Missouri.

The Union Forever!

Sapper

No comments: