Sunday, November 10, 2013

The rantings of a lunatic...or another entry on my Winter War project



I was sitting around work yesterday and I was thinking about my gaming projects; what to keep, what to get rid of, etc.  I started thinking about my Kickstarter's Winter War pledge and everything I needed as I really have nothing on the
subject, terrain, miniatures, books, etc, prior to me committing to this Kickstarter.  Then I thought that this might be a good time to actually track a gaming project from purchase to actual gaming and hopefully beyond, because this actually is a gaming period totally conceived with the Kickstarter and not a spin off from any previous projects or something that I started and stopped in the past.  




Why did I get into this pledge/project? 



It was the ‘Oh, Shiny!’ moment after I saw how the stretch bonuses worked and started doing the math (you can read my previous entries about that.)  I had no interest in it until about half way through the pledge period.  There was some peer pressure, but not that they had known it with me reading other members of the Too Fat Lardies (TFL) Yahoo Group discussing this Kickstarter.  I think the deciding factor was when TFL released their Army index for Chain of Command (CoC) for the Finnish that really pushed me over as the Kickstarter was actually sort of geared towards the CoC scope of gaming.  



What rules will I be using?



TFL’s Chain of Command!  I had planned to buy CoC before it came out to do post WW2 platoon actions and not WW2.  But you can say that I bought this rules system for this project.  As I mention above, TFL released a Army list for both the Finnish and the Soviets for the Winter War for free.  I also made my own patrol markers and jump off points for the Winter War for CoC and can be found in one my previous entries.



Why 28mm when I swore them off? 



I was considering maybe using some of my 15mm WW2 figures to be mounted individually for CoC, but I was not really sold on that.  I never intended to game in 28’s at all, and as such I didn’t order CoC with the 28mm jump off points.  In my gaming group, Blake really does not like any other scale but 28mm (but he will play and paint other scales, just don’t asking how he likes it painting smaller scales) and Steve was talking about painting 28’s for show only, but even hinting that he might get into WW2 28’s anyway.  So, I in some ways, not that they talked me into it or even we discussed it, they sort of made me OK with going with this scale.  If no one in my gaming group cared for 28’s, I would never had considered doing it.  Also, because of the cost savings with the Kickstarter, it brought the whole game project to a reasonable cost and with the savings, I will use it towards getting them painted by a painting service.



What books have I bought or will buy for this project? 


Have bought:

Finland at War 1939-45 (Elite) from Osprey

The Mannerheim Line 1920-39: Finnish Fortifications of the Winter War (Fortress) from Osprey

A Frozen Hell: The Russo-Finnish Winter War of 1939-1940 by William Trotter
Tanks in the Winter War: 1939 - 1940 (Operations: Scandinavia 1939) by Maxim Komolyets


Plan to buy:
The Soviet Invasion of Finland 1939-40 (Soviet (Russian) Military Experience) by Carl Van Dyke

Swedish Volunteers in the Russo-Finnish Winter War, 1939-1940 by Martina Sprague

War of the White Death by Bair Irincheev



What terrain have I bought and what will still need to buy?



Well with the Kickstarter, I got the following: 20x 3” long barbed wire road barricades, 25x tree stumps, 10x small foxholes, 5x medium foxholes,  3x large foxholes, 4 metal terrain (sandbags, barb wire posts and barricades) packs.  I have also purchased 80x snow covered evergreen trees of various sizes (between 3.2” to 4.75” / 8cm to 12cm) cheap off of eBay.  I already have some cloth terrain that sort of has a green ground pattern to it and can be seen in some of my pervious entries (like here) which when turned upside turn has a white-ish look to it like a dusting of snow.  What I still need buy is snow covered terrain mat, hills, some buildings and roads…and probably more trees!



What am I getting from the Kickstarter for troops?



Finnish troops are all in snow camouflage/winter uniforms, except where noted



Hero Colonel Mannerheim

Hero Aarne Edward Juutilainen, "The Terror of Morocco"

Hero Simo Häyhä

Company Command staff (4x officers and NCOs)

Platoon HQ (1x Officer, 1x SGT, 2x rifle messengers)

2x Rifle sections (1x NCO, 1x SMG and 8x riflemen)

2x LMG sections (1x CPL, 1x LMG and 5x rifles) (1x section in summer uniforms)

Jaeger Ski section (1x SMG and 9x rifles)

Light Cavalry section (10x rifles)

Bicycle Jaeger section (1x SMG and 9x rifles)

Model Cajander section (2x SMGs and 6x rifles)

81mm mortar team with 5x crew

HMG team firing with 5x crew

HMG team moving with 5x crew

M1937 45mm ATG with 5x crew

Bofors 45mm AT gun with 5x crew

76mm M1927 Regimental Gun firing with 5x crew

Flamethrower team (3x men)

Demolition team (3x men)

Mine Clearing team (3x men)

Wire Clearing team (3x men)

Lahti AT rifle team firing with 2x crew

Lahti AT rifle team moving with 2x crew

4x Soldiers with SMGs

4x Sharpshooters / snipers

4x Tank hunters (2x Molotov cocktails, 1x Anti-tank mine, and 1x log of wood)

4x Dead casualties

2x Wounded casualties

2x Medics

Artillery observer and a radio operator

Reindeer pulling baggage on sled with 1x crewman

Field Kitchen with 2 crew/chefs and 4 soldiers eating/resting

Vickers-Armstrong 6 ton tank

Truck with quad MG AA Gun and crew or 10 passengers

Aerosan OSGA 6 with crew and optional roof mounted MG and gunner

8x Separate head variants



Soviet troops are all in winter uniforms, except where noted



Hero Commander Shmagrin

Company Command staff (4x officers and NCOs)

2x Commissars and a standard bearer

2x Platoon HQ (1x Officer, 1x SGT, 2x rifle messengers) (1x in summer uniforms)

8x Rifle sections (1x NCO, 1x LMG and 8x riflemen) (3x sections in summer uniforms)

1x Rifle section in snow camouflage (2x NCO, 2x SMG, 2x LMG and 10x riflemen)

2x 50mm mortar team with 5x crew (1x in summer uniforms)

2x HMG team firing with 5x crew (1x in summer uniforms)

2x HMG team moving with 5x crew (1x in summer uniforms)

2x M1937 45mm ATG with 5x crew (1x in summer uniforms)

76mm M1927 Regimental Gun firing with 5x crew

76mm M1927 Regimental Gun limbered with 5x crew and horses

2x Flamethrower team (3x men)

2x Demolition team (3x men)

2x Mine Clearing team (3x men)

2x Wire Clearing team (3x men)

8x Soldiers with SMGs (4x summer uniforms)

4x Sharpshooters / snipers

8x Dead casualties

4x Wounded casualties

4x Medics

8x tanks crew armed with rifles and LMG

8x tank riders armed with rifles

Artillery observer and a radio operator

Field Kitchen with 2 crew/chefs and 4 soldiers eating/resting

2x T-26 tanks

2x Twin MG turret T-26 tanks

KhT-130 Flamethrower tank

2x B-10 armored cars

B-20 armored cars

Komsomolet armored tractor and crew

4x Trucks with quad MG AA Gun and crew or 10 passengers

Aerosan OSGA 6 with crew and optional roof mounted MG and gunner

16x Separate head variants



This is a whopping total of:

450 men

17 horses

9 small weapons

6 large weapons / equipment

10 AFVs

7 soft skin vehicles



What has this Kickstarter in turn inspired me to look at for spin-off projects/purchases?



1/200 Winter War air combat!  Many of the airplanes involved, as well as those that arrived just too late, are available in this scale which is used for the Wings of Glory miniatures.  Below is a list of the planes and who makes them in 1/200.  Of course, this also means buying some more books!



Finnish:



Brewster 239 Buffalo: Armaments In Miniature

Bristol Blenheim I: Armaments In Miniature

Bristol Blenheim IV: Armaments In Miniature

Bristol Bulldog: Helmet 200

Fiat G.50: Armaments In Miniature & Shapeways

Fokker D.XXI: Shapeways

Gloster Gauntlet: Shapeways

Gloster Gladiator II: Shapeways

Morane-Saulnier M.S.406: Armaments In Miniature & Helmet 200



Soviet:



DB-3 bomber: No one makes this at this time

I-15 fighter: Shapeways

I-15 bis fighter: No one makes this at this time

I-153 fighter: Shapeways

I-16 fighter: Armaments In Miniature & Shapeways

R-5 scout bomber: Shapeways

SB-2/SB-3 bomber: Armaments In Miniature

Su-2 scout bomber: Shapeways

Cheers,

Sapper

5 comments:

combatcolours said...

Don't blame us for your fevered dreams!
OK, I know I said the first taste was free...

commissarmoody said...

I sadly had to drop out of this kick starter do to some car troubles that needed fixing.
But good to hear that some one is getting what they wanted. Looking forward to seeing the completed figs. :)

Pete. said...

1/200 air war sounds interesting- I'll look forward to what you do with that.

(I've invested too much in 20mm for WW2 to change now)

Cheers,

Pete.

Sapper Joe said...

@Combatcolours - oh, I blame you for a lot! :P

@commissarmoody - that makes two of us for seeing them completed! Pity about 1933: A Nation Divided

@Pete - I have invested into too much of every scale! Unfortunately, that does stop me from changing. :)

commissarmoody said...

Thanks Joe