This entry is about a news columnist that I have recently discovered and enjoy. Some of you may have heard about him before. His name is Gary Brecher and his column is called “The War Nerd”.
- Most wars are asymmetrical / irregular.
- In these wars, the guerrillas / irregulars / insurgents do NOT aim for military victory.
- You can NOT defeat these groups by killing lots of their members. In fact, they want you to do that.
- Hi-tech weaponry is mostly useless in these wars.
- "Hearts and Minds," meaning propaganda and morale, are more important than military superiority.
- Most people are not rational, they are TRIBAL: "my gang yay, your gang boo!" It really is that simple. The rest is cosmetics.