Current Gaming Projects

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Whimsical Wednesday: 1776 & Gettysburg

Today is a few YouTube videos in the spirit of the 4th of July.


First, by far, is one of my favorite movies and musicals: 1776.   This is especially rare since I really don't care to much for musicals, as there is only about six others that I like.  It is a very well done musical play that was written by a history teacher, Sherman Edwards.  It was his first and only play that he ever written.  He broke several "rules" for musical plays, like having the first 15 minutes with no music and ending without a happy, memorable tune (but the movie add one instead of ending with the original of the bell toiling so to have something playing over the credits.)  

It is also my tradition to either watch the movie or listen to the soundtrack every 4th of July for the last 25+ years.

Here is a video of the trailer for the movie:



This is the song that is my favorite called "Is there anybody there?" It is sung by John Adams (played by William Daniels) at the the night before the big vote for independence.




Also, today is the 150th anniversary of the third and final day of the Battle of Gettysburg with Pickett's Charge, as well as the day that Grant discuss the terms of surrender with Pemberton of Vicksburg.  While in Arkansas, rebel forces under Holmes and Price prepared for the assault on the fortifications of Prentiss at Helena.

While I didn't care for the movie, Gettysburg, I did like some of the battle scenes and actually like Jeff Daniels as Joshua Chamberlain.  It is a pity that someone has not done a good movie about Vicksburg, but I doubt that it would do good commercially.  

This is one of my favorite scenes from Gettysburg:



Cheers,

Joe

No comments: